Regular attendance in school plays an important role in your child’s education. The Kilgore Independent School District is introducing a Truancy Prevention Program to educate and encourage students to be in school every day. Daily attendance provides your child with the necessary tools to be successful in coursework. When your child receives an unexcused absence, this program could go into effect.
School Policy requires you to bring a note within 2 days after any absence and to follow the attendance procedures of your child's school. If you have an excessive number of absences, your child’s campus may notify the student and parent that a medical note is required for all future absences. Doctors, Dentists, Orthodontists, therapists, etc. are excused with a medical note from the medical office for the period of time that the appointment occurred. If you fail to bring a medical note, the absence is unexcused.
The following will provide a summary breakdown of the Truancy Process for Kilgore Independent School District:
- Letters will be mailed home on the 3rd, 5th, and 8th absence.
- A school official will communicate in person with the student upon his/her return to school to inquire about the absence and offer support.
- A school official will request a conference with parent(s)/guardian(s) to strategize preventative measures to ensure the decrease of absences.
- Home visits will be conducted on a basis of need.
- If absences persist, the process to file Truancy will be initiated.
If any questions arise, please do not hesitate to contact your child’s school for further information.