Information, Kilgore ISD
In 1873, Alexander Institute (now Lon Morris College, Jacksonville) was established here by Dr. Isaac Alexander. When the Institute was moved, the buildings were used here for schooling. The schools were operated as a common school district for many years. Then on August 27, 1906 voters approved 53 to 0 the formation of the Kilgore Independent School District. Gregg County Judge Edwin Lacy, after canvassing the returns of the election, declared the district incorporated. The school district was located wholly in Gregg County, covering 12 square miles. Today the district encompasses 106.7 square miles in both Gregg and Rusk Counties.
Kilgore High School - constructed in 1932; renovations and additions 1995-96
Kilgore Middle School - constructed in 2013
Kilgore Intermediate School - occupied 1995
Chandler Elementary School - constructed 1960; addition 1990
Kilgore Primary School - constructed in 2013
Elder Cooperative Alternative School - first known as Shell Elementary School and organized in the early boom days. In 1937, seven acres on the Tyler Highway were acquired from the Elder family (north of Shell Camp) and the present building was occupied in December 1938.